Friday, March 4, 2022

Azure SQL Managed Instance - Configure Managed Instance Disabled

Quick post on an issue I encountered earlier when trying to create a new Azure SQL Managed Instance on a brand new Azure subscription. Unfortunately I can't recreate the problem as I fixed it manually and things have worked as expected ever since so you'll have to take my word for it!

The problem I had when creating a new SQL Managed Instance was that the Configure Managed Instance was disabled (the following image shows what it should look like) and I wanted to reduce the compute of the new managed instance:

What I also found on the following Networking screen was that the Virtual network/subnet option was stuck at loading and this needs to be complete to allow configuration of the Managed Instance, in fact it won't even create the resource without this option completed:


To resolve the issue I had to create a brand Virtual Network resource in the Portal which I could then select from the dropdown list when I tried to create a Managed SQL Instance again. I then deleted the new Virtual Network and went back to see if the problem would reoccur and was correctly given the new option as shown in the image above.

So if you are creating this type of resource with no Virtual Network you might run into this problem and would need to create the Virtual Network first! Not sure if anyone else has ran into this?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Breaking up with SQL Server

I was inspired to write this after reading a post from Dave Mason regarding breaking up with Big Tech companies. Yet again I haven't wr...